Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Great Vitamix Experiment: SOUP!

Ok, so I've heard from people about how great soups can be right out of the Vitamix, about how the blender is so powerful that it actually cooks/heats the food if you let it run long enough (more on that when I talk about my hummus, but not now, soon, people, soon!).  So, I had a butternut squash just begging to be eaten.  I went to the Vitamix website and downloaded this recipe for apple butternut squash soup

Ok, the hardest part of this recipe is cutting the squash.  Those things are tough.  What a workout.  After steaming the squash and throwing a few ingredients (and I DO mean few, this is simple stuff, even for me), I mixed it up in the Vitamix and produced some pretty good tasting soup.  From squash cuttin' to soup eatin', I'd say this meal took 25-30 minutes.  But the vast majority is prepping and steaming the squash.  Vitamix time was about 5 minutes.

The only thing I'd change about the recipe is the apple.  It added a little too much sweet to the squash.  So to cut the sweet i added some salt and a bit of pepper.  I ate two bowls and it came right out of the Vitamix piping hot.

When you look at this pic, what I'd like you to notice is how smooth this soup looks.  Before going into the Vitamix, it was a collection of diced squash, a 1/4 onion, an apple and various spices and seasonings.  Coming out it was as smooth as ever.  Nice.




2 comments:

  1. That looks good....but I'm dying to hear about the hummus! Bought some tahini the day before yesterday to make some myself, only my blender isn't as nifty as yours and I'm kind of concerned - hope it turns out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started making soups in my Vitamix because I got braces. I tried the potato broccoli recipe from the book it came with, and potatoes got so starchy and really unpleasant to eat. I had to throw it out. Today I tried the Carrot Orange Ginger soup. It was ok, a 6 out of 10. I will try your recipe next. Thanks for posting the recipe results.

    ReplyDelete